Diy Book Marks

For my bible study ladies i had to figure out something to give each of them this year for Christmas. You know how much i love a good homemade gift to give! If you don't then it's time to read some of my past blog post!!!!!!  Ok i  will give you a re cap of past christmas gifts to them. Zipper pouches  to store stuff in there purses or gym bags or what nots.  Last christmas i made them each a canvas quote from christian songs.  So this year i wanted to continue on something homemade. I searched Pinterest but still not loving one particular thing. Luckily I asked my Sister in law erinn for ideas. She sent me the idea of these cute felt bookmarks that are made out of hair ties. It was a strip of fabric that was folded over a hair tie and looped over a button to secure it.

I thought this would be perfect because we are always reading a book and i usually use a bobby pin to mark my page. I have tons of scrap fabric to use for this but i made a few up and they were just not how i had envisioned them. They would either be to big for a book or to small. Then i got super frustrated and threw my hands up and stormed out of my room. I did make my way back to the idea after pondering solutions the next few days. I love when the light bulb goes off and your like why did it take me this long to figure this out. Granted i was doing like 5 different projects at one time.

I have tons of thin elastic in my sewing drawer from doing little girl headbands. Elastic is great because it will stretch to the size of most any book...

I cut my elastic to 15 inches long and took both end and overlapped them  by 1/2 inch  and zig zagged it to secure it. Then here is where you can let your imagine go and do anything you want. I have fabric and tons of felt so i did a mixture of both.

I love bows and so i used a template that i made for baby hair bows and tied it on right at where the elastic got sewed.  Who does not love a good bow?

I cut two heart out of felt and used a hot glue gun to attach it to the elastic and where the seam is. You just hot glue both hearts together with the elastic in the middle like a sandwich.

Then i made a few flowers out of scrap fabric. You take your handy dandy hot glue gun and a scrap fabric that is maybe a inch wide. it doesn't have to be perfect. First you put a dot of glue in the center end and fold it over and then start rolling it in a ball, using your pointer and thumb to hold it tight. Go around and around securing it with a little hot glue till it form a nice flat flower. It's a great way to add a fun detail with the scrap fabric pieces you have lying around. I can't throw them away they are always useful. I liked the look of doing one color in the middle and adding another scrap fabric around the outside.

I also made a fun flower with some felt. I cut out little pedals and then cut out little circles in a different color and grabbed my glue gun again and took the circle and put a dab of glue in the center and folded it over and another dab of glue in the center and folded it again till i got a v like shape and then hot glued four of them together to use as a center of a flower as a 3 d look then attach the pedals around it. I also made a circle to fit on the back of the flower to use as a backing between the flower and elastic.

And lastly i made a ruffle flower. You take a scrap piece of fabric in what ever size you want your flowers width to be. Put your sewing machine on the looses stitch and turn your tension up as high as it goes. Run a stitch down the center from one side to the other. You will have a a ruffle then. Take the ruffle and meet end and put a stitch down that to connect them together to get a circle. Take your hot glue gun and put some glue in the cent of your circle and scratch the fabric up close up the circle gap.  Then to finish up the flower i took one of those fabric flowers i just told you about and glued it to the top center of my flower. To attach it the elastic i glue the flower on top of a felt circle with the elastic in the middle.

Go crazy on the design of your book mark make them into shapes, animals, bows, or use patches with felt on the bottom, the choices are endless.

Comments

Popular Posts