Ketchup Makeover

We are slowly working towards cleaning up our fridge condiments. We have one more bottle of ketchup left and then it's hello to homemade -less sugar ketchup.  My husband is a super big ketchup lover and he is picky on brand and it has to be Heinz! He even has a shirt he wears to proclaim his love for ketchup.

So when your on the hunt to find a recipe you pull up pinterest and browse your local library to find some recipes to try. I was hoping i could nail it on the first try but i was totally naive. I put all the spices in a cup and added some tomato paste and apple cider vinegar and blended it up with my stick immersion blender. We taste tested it and it tasted like a cheap knock off that you by at the store. Not for us. We think it was the dash of cinnamon or all spice that it called for that we didn't like. But it was sweetened with a date and we both agreed that it was a good amount of sweetness we just need to work on the spice part of it. That was a whole 30 approved ketchup recipe. So if any one wants it i have a jar in my fridge for you to have. :)


So now on to round 2... This was a ketchup recipe from Danielle Walker  from Against All Grain again. She proclaims she is a big ketchup fan like my husband so i figured it was safe!  I made one mistake while making this recipe. I finely chopped the onion instead of leaving it in big chunk to remove after it has been simmering 40 min. Opps but oh well!
I also cut the recipe in half just in case it was a flop. Live and you learn

I have to say i like this recipe but i would cut some of the honey down to remove the sweetness but the spice was good.
1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
1/2 yellow onion- HALVED
1 clove of garlic- crushed
26 oz tomato puree
1/2 honey- i would cut that down 
1/3- white vinegar
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
8- whole cloves
10- whole all spice berries

Saute the onions and garlic with the oil for few minutes .  The add the rest of ingredients and bring to boil and reduced uncovered for around 30-40 min. You want to reduce and and thicken it. 
Remove the onion, cloves and berries.

I added a step to mine by using my immersion blender to make it smooth as possible. Let cool and store in the fridge.





Comments

Popular Posts