Composting Worm Bin

Yep!!!! It's official i am worm farming women!!!! I guess i never thought i would say that, but i am so excited. I was thinking about doing a diy worm farm using a tote but then i thought what if it goes astray and i have 1,000 worms crawling around my house because it didn't work out. So i went to Uncle Jim's Worm farm site and ordered a kit. I heard such good things about this company and so i figured you might as well go with a trusty source, plus there made in the USA. It's the worm factory 360 and then i added 1,000 worms to my order.  I couldn't decide between the bag choice of 1,000 worms or 2,000 worms, so i texted the Mr. and he said go small you can always add. Ok fine. you know me all to well. Go big or go home! They will multiple over time.

I plan to keep this worm farm inside my house and maybe move them outside in the garage this summer. You may be thinking why would you want that in your house?  Well the awesome part about this is, is that it doesn't stink. There should be no odor to it, and if you are having a order you are doing something wrong.

These worms will be eating my fruit and veggie scraps along with tea and coffee grounds. You will not want to add dairy, meat, acidic foods such as oranges. And as they eat they will poop and help decompose everything into a nice compost material for my garden. They also will be able to make a liquid fertilizer for our yard and garden called worm tea. I have found two methods for making worm tea i just need to decide which way i am going to go about. I keep ya posted!  In order to get the nice composted worm poo dirt you begin with a tray for your worm tower you will put in your worms, dirt that they provided- which is outer coconut material, and paper and food scrap, as they eat they will begin composting it and over a month or so you can begin adding another tray on top of that previous tray. As long as you don't see any food left and it looks like it's fully decomposed. You will stop adding food scraps to the bottom tray and begin adding it to the tray you place above it. They will wiggle there way up and begin doing that process over again. I have a set of 4 trays in my kit. It will take me awhile to get up to that amount of trays.

Fun Fact----
 *1,000 worms will create 8-16oz of compost a day
 *1,000 worms will multiple by 3 months and by 1 year you should have around 16,000 worms which creates 8-16 pounds of compost a day.
 * worms do not have teeth they grind there food with there gizzard using muscle actions
 * Normal worms outside only live a year, but worm farm worms live 4 years
 *Worms breath through there skin

I ordered my worm farm on Wednesday afternoon and received my worm kit a week and half later and the worms are coming this afternoon. They are having issue with there shipping they said. Who knows! At least my kit came before my worms arrived.

So Bella assisted me in the the set up of there home for when they arrive. So here is a set by step for ya!

First step- This is the base with a front spicket

Then i placed the angles tray on top of the base it helps the worm get back up if they fall down to the bottom

These are the supplies my kit came with
moisture reader, bag of pumice, coconut coir, bag of worm minerals, scrapper, thermometer, bag of paper shreds and tray to put on your worm bin to collect liquids from spiget

now i added the first tray on the top of my base

Scott stole my camera!

putting the coconut coir in a bucket 

Bella added a half cup of water and we watched it grow and expand

This is what it looks like when it's absorbed

We added half the bag of pumice- which helps the worms grind up there food

Bella added a handful of paper shreds


2 tbsp of worm food minerals

First line your tray with 2 sheets of paper

Add your dirt blend you just made up

Here is a bucket of my compost from the garden to add to the worm tray

Here are some of my scraps. I ran them through the food processor to help make them smaller and easier to eat. Isn't it pretty color? Scott bought me a rose so i blend that up when it died.

Place your food in the corner of your tray and then place a good handful of paper shreds around it and and on top of the food.



My worm bin is next to my garden table in the dining room. Now i'm just waiting for my wiggly little worms to arrive to show you them in there new place.


Comments

Popular Posts