Gluten Free Products that we are lovin'

So it's been 16 days gluten free and let me tell you this has been some crazy emotions going on at our house since we have started. I have dreaded cooking dinner and we can't just go out for dinner when i don't want to cook. The options are low and the risk of getting tummy aches are greater.

But the family all last week protested my meals and cried and complained and whined at the dinner table it was so stressful. Scott describes it well to me, he says it's just like when you were trying to cook and bake when we were first married. Trial and error and practice you will figure it out again. Yay!!! my food really sucked when we were first married, i'll admit to that. I tried and tried and it paid off years later. I love to cook and bake, but right now it's stressful because i don't know how to cook with these ingredients. You can only have the same dish so many times before your sick of it.

I made lentil soup because while on vacation Kate loved it, so i thought i would try it. One scoop in and the family opionions were flying. That ended up in the trash!
My homemade mac and cheese that everyone loves was frowned upon because it didn't taste the same. I agree it wasn't the same. I could go on about a few other dishes......

I made crockpot beef stew with a gluten free season pack i found and they all liked it, i personally wasn't in love with it. The seasoning was a bit salty and i guess i love my old seasoning i used to use. I have to change with them. I also made a chicken & veggie stir fry with a gluten free orange stir fry sauce and that was so good. I love stir fry and anything Chinese. But i used to use soy sauces, hoisin sauce and all those yummy oriental sauces that are jam packed with gluten in them.

I also am having to pack Kate's school lunch and she is a picky eater and a good portion of the food i send that she likes still comes back untouched. I wish she could just eat at school but i just got off the phone with them and the choices are limited. They can't do a meal everyday and but they can modify the food some of the days. Like hamburger day they could do a g free bun and orange chicken day they can do the chicken and rice but no sauce on it. I guess i left frustrated by that call. You think they would be able to do more. I did ask if she could have access to a microwave so she can have left overs hot once in awhile and they said no not in the cafeteria but the nurse could possible help her with that. I just want her to have a healthy balanced meal that she actually eats.

Part of my huge order of flour arrived and my journey with cooking and baking is going to be real!  I'm going to experiment and find what works for us, and i have a feeling it's going to be a long journey and will becomes easy again someday.

I do have to confess i miss bread.... This girl loves warm fresh bread, donuts, and anything carb-y.  I see a commercial and it's a food that we have removed from the home and I'm like ohhh i want that!  Going gluten free is not easy. I am have decided and I'm trying really hard and i have slipped up a few times on gluten free diet, but I want to support Kate and eat the foods she can eat. I think she needs that, but it's tough and i think she is doing way better at not complaining then i am. We have had a few times where she was upset not to be able to eat what others are eating. Example the school play Bella and Henry were eating licorice and she can't eat that and we didn't have any snack choices with us to give her. I need to be better about carrying treats that she is able to have in case something like that comes up.

Here are a few things we have tried and loved...

got it at bob's produce ranch

got it at cub

aldi

aldi

got it at cub

got it at costco

aldi

trader joe's

betty crockers choc. and yellow cake mix are both ok. they do dry out fast so store in the fridge and cover them really good.

We also have enjoyed Tinkyada rice pasta -the spaghetti & lasagna noodles. I ordered a bunch of each of them from vitacost.com at a good price.

Right now i feel like we are living on a processed foods and that is so not us. I hope that changes soon.



Comments

Popular Posts