DIY Baby Ring Sling

I knew I wanted a new baby carrier but I wasn't sure what I wanted. I have a ergo baby carrier but he is in a awkward stage where he is to big for the infant insert and doesn't like his legs spread out for him to sit in without. I also have a boba or sleepy wrap that I love, but he likes to go in and out of it where it makes it a pain to wrap and un wrap all the time. Plus it's been really hot wearing it this past week. I went on good old you tube and looked around at other options that moms are using. I decided a ring sling sounds like a good option. But the price was a little much for me, and i heard there easy to sew your own. So i took on the challenge.

I found this you tube video on her sewing one in the style i liked. I heard good things about the Maya sling and there website has the instructions to make your own. so i use the dimensions from that site. When I was in the cloth diaper store i felt the fabric in the brand of ring sling they sell and then went to the fabric store to use the same material. Everyone i talked to about making a sling recommended buying my rings from this website. slingrings.com, they are reasonable and super fast shipping. I regret not ordering a couple sets!

  I sewed these two cute materials together, since my blue pattern material had not print on the back. Sewed the rings on the wrap and put it on and i was sweating and the material was way to heavy to move the fabric thru the rings to adjust it. Wha Wha waaa....


Take two... When on etsy to see what other fabric options others are using. Plus i was looking for a light weight material since it's like super duper hot out lately. I found this gauze material, and i knew that was perfect. We have about 3 blankets made with this material and Henry loves it.  The wrap was selling for 30.00  plus 3.00 for shipping which isn't bad, but i knew i could sew it if i found the material. So i took a trip to the Brooklyn Park fabric outlet and searched. I found a stretchy gauze fabric in the color coral and yellow. I was really hoping for a teal or turquoise. So i picked the coral.... Went home and ripped the stiches out of the wrap i flopped on and took the rings out and sewed them in the new wrap i just sewed!  Yeah it turned out great.


I love the pleats by the ring it makes it look snazzy!  ;)

While I was at the fabric outlet i also picked up this cute double sided flannel quilt fabric to make a fun small blanket for the floor or the park. It has fun owls and swirls, and the other side has a check print in the colors from the owl side.




I have really enjoyed sewing the last few days, i needed a little time to myself {not that i was totally by myself, but as much a mom can be} doing something I enjoy.

It has been so hot at our house this week, we have been in the upper 90's almost 100's and since we don't have central air we have been cranky sweaty and miserable.  Today we closed the windows and have the two small window ac units running with the shades closed. Wish us luck.

Comments

Popular Posts