Newbie Dehydrator

I have always wanted a food dehydrator but i didn't want to store and i was worried it would be a short phase and then move on. So in order to find out, i borrowed my mother in laws!!!  Well it was two day before grocery day which means no produce or much of anything is left in the house. But we did have some potatoes and sweet potatoes. So lets make chips! I find a recipe on pinterest of course and they all looked to be about the same so i thinly sliced them up. This is where a mandolin slicer would come in handy, nice even cuts and half the time!  I did one tray of sweet potatoes  with salt, next tray with cinnamon, next tray with salt and pepper. I also cut a few white potatoes and rubbed lemon juice on them for browning. Plugged the machine in and said wait 12 hours. So i checked them the next morning and i was like gross, the white potatoes covered in brown spots! Unappetizing! Then i tasted the sweet potatoes and they were not super crunchy so i let them go a few more hours.

Finally i unplugged the machine and let them sit for a bit and the kids walked by and tried one and all gave the same opinion - Gross!  I had to agree but i didn't want to admit it out loud.






Ok one fail attempt wont stop me!  Now on to banana chips and dried apples. We used to buy a bag of dried green apples every week at costco but then they stopped carrying it. Cry with me, i know i did! It was a great snack to grab on the go.  And i have always loved banana chips, so why not make my own.

I found a recipe and it said to slice them 1/4 inch thick and place them in a bowl i with water and juice from one lemon. I didn't have a fresh lemon so i used  what was left of my bottled lemon juice and  added a few drops of lemon essential oil. (only use good quality oil that is safe to take internally) They recommend letting it sit in there for 30 min. and then place on the racks to dehydrate. I did one tray with a cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice mix and one tray regular. I only used two giant green apples and that filled 4 trays. Since i had one tray left i cut one banana and threw the slices in the lemon water that i used for the apples for 10 min.  One banana filled one tray.




He asked every 5 min. if they are done? Nope!

Now to wait like 7-8 hours again to see if it is a fail or success!  Cross your fingers and say a prayer

My apple chips were a success, so when i was at marshal's they had a mandolin slicer for 12.00 so i bought one.  I grabbed two more apples and made another round! Oh and the banana chips were just as tasty!

If you have any dehydrator recipes let me know i love to try some.

Comments

Popular Posts