Taking It Outside



When we got home from our time up on the North shore we came home to some amazing warm weather. I thought it was perfect time to let these girls outside in the run to explore and enjoy. I opened the coop run door to let them out and they all stared at it and were curious but non of them went for it. So I had to pick each one up and place it outside. Once they ran around a bit they started rolling around in the dirt taking a fantastic dirt bath. Ha it was so comical to watch them!


Everyday since I have let them outside for a couple hours during the hottest part of the day because they are still young and growing there big girl feathers still I didn't want them to get cold. Day 3 of letting them outside I took 3 chicks and put them outside by hand and then I took our biggest chick-"big Bertha the orpington and set her on the run ramp and she walked and then flew down and the rest of the chicks followed after. Cross your fingers that continues because it's a pain to do this every time. Getting them back in has not gone smoothly. I have to grab each and put them in by hand.  I even had to resort to using a broom to swish them out from under the coop with my three "chicken chicks".  Ha life of owning chickens.

I am so loving having these girls in my backyard. They bring us such amusement and joy. And I can't wait till there full grown and I can see them with all there beautiful feathers in and  when they start laying eggs.  That will be so much fun!

I have had to lock the coop because mr. Henry loves to say hello to them multiple times a day.  Once I didn't lock the door and Scott happened to walk by and the coop door was wide open. They were all perched up looking out the door but they didn't fly out. So lucky!  The three oldest chicks will fly up by the door when you go say hello.

rosie is so intrigued with these chicks. She sits there watching them the entire time they are outside



Penelope -welsummer



they learned to fly up to the high perch inside the coop. the three oldest chicks

shirley- silver laced Wyandotte 

batgirl- black sexlink

sunny-gold sexlink

Our two "Oreo" our barred rock- 

big Bertha- orpington, and our two gold sexlinks- sunny and sunrise












Mrs. Peckers- silver laced Wyandotte and sunrise



they love tomatoes





We have a few chicks that are not overly friendly, as in they don't run up to you and they don't like to picked up. That is our barred rock "Oreos",  and sunny and sunrise- the gold sex links. The rest are overly excited to see us. Batgirl is the first to meet us when we go out there and is always the one to grab the treat we bring from everyone else. For such a little bird she is assertive.  I have learned so much about chickens and I'm continuing to watch videos on youtube of things that could pop up while raising chickens so I am prepared. 

I hope you enjoy our little flock!


Comments

Popular Posts