Meet our backyard Chicks

Since I was particular on which breeds I wanted they had to do a couple different orders. Last Friday I picked up my buff orpington and my two silver laced wyandottes. It was nice to have only a few to tend to at first. It was like I was getting my feet wet before the whole gang arrived. My buff was quiet and chill and Scott and I were a little worried she was too chill. Monday morning I noticed she as not acting good and was probably not going to make it. Unfortunately I was right she passed away Monday morning. They did tell me that chickens have a high death rate so order more then you want to have. She was so sweet.

I captured this good picture of her the day before she passed.

Silver laced wyandottes 

The nice part of these to birds is that there coloring on there back is different. One is dark and the other one has a good stripe marking. It's amazing how these two birds have grown in one week. They are now able to flap there wings and flutter across the brooder box. 


there big bird feathers are coming in


This is Shirley she is the darker of the two wynandotte She was born on July 21

This is Ms. Peckers She is the top chicken and she rules the brooder box. She has this nice dark and light strip down her back. She was born on July 21


                                              

A week later I got the call that the rest of my birds are in and I can go get them.
Bringing home our new babies







This is 'Penelope" She is a welsummer and was born on Aug 3

Penelope has pretty markings on her.

This is "Bat Girl"she is a Black Sexlink and she was born Aug 3

This is "Bertha" she is a buff orpington and she was born July 21

This is "Oreo" she is a barred rock and was born Aug 3


This "Sunny" she is a Gold sex link and was born aug 3

We have two of the gold sex links and two of the barred rocks but you can't tell them apart so they go under the same name for now.


We are currently holding them in a big storage container in my laundry room area. We will be moving them either to the garage or out to the coop with the heat lamp out there for them.  I know I will be needing to get a big tall box so they have room to move and flap there wings in soon. They grow so fast to keep them all in there. We only can have 6 chickens in our town and if they all live I will be returning a few back to the store, or encouraging someone else to start raising chickens in there backyard. 









Comments

Popular Posts