Vegetable Garden In Mid Season

I am going to go on record and say I am not impressed on how my veggie garden is preforming this year! I felt like this year in my garden it was going to be year of big harvest and tons of food being set aside for the winter months. Mainly for the fact that I grew my own vegetables from seed and had a great plan set up. We did get hit with a big hail storm that made my plants look awful but I don't think I can blame how slow and little my plants are looking on just that. I would like to do a soil sample test to see if Im missing something that they need to grow better.

We did the wood chip on top of my garden after watching the back to eden method and maybe that is what caused it to be lagging behind. I have heard both sides of performance with this method. Or it was a list of many other things that has caused it to be the way it is. Well in my journey of gardening I have found you try stuff and if it doesn't work you tweak it the next season. So I need to find a plan for the next year and see if that works. It just sucks I have to wait a whole year to try again. I have been looking into the lasagna method of building soil and I think I might try it for my next garden.

My zucchini plants have flowers on them but no actual fruit starting on the vine. My tomato plants are not even up to the second ring on the tomato cage and they have mini little tomatoes on them but I don't see them producing much. The cherry tomato plants in my pots are huge and thriving but they won't be a good one for canning. My green beans are doing great and I get a good hand full each day so I flash cook them and put them in the freezer for later. Peas were relish but I didn't plant enough and they didn't even make it in the house to eat for a meal. We ate one jalapeƱo pepper with our stir fry the other night and the bell peppers have not even started flowering to make the fruit. Which is a big bummer because that is a family favorite. The cucumbers are kinda getting big they have not even made it to the trellis we have next to them. The hail really damaged them and I was surprised they survived. The strawberries did great the first round and they didn't get mushy before they were rip this year like that have in past years. The next round of fruit is starting on them and they are even bigger then the past round of berries. We got one broccoli plant to survive after the storm and it made a cute little head of broccoli and I mean little! The cauliflower made a little head but it quickly turned gross looking. But I have never had good luck with growing that.
these cherry tomatoes are kicking butt compared to my garden ones

carrots in the front, cucumbers by the trellis and strawberries on the far right. 

my two blueberry plants, and in the containers are lettuce and pepper 

green bean along the back and the spot that is empty was peas. Kale in middle and far right is cabbage

my only cabbage that looks like the bugs have not chewed it

tomatoes on the back and peppers in front left and zucchini and cauliflower on front right

it turned gross-cauliflower

my zucchini plant is tiny compared to most years

these are my garden box tomatoes

Next year I am going to pass on growing cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli because its so hit or miss. I will focus more on tomato plants, cucumber, green beans, peas, peppers, potatoes, kale, and lettuce.

I am adding a new garden in my front yard for next year. The tree company came and cut down tons of my trees that were by the power lines and so I have a this big bare spot with full sun that was screaming to have a garden started there. I decided not to do a planter box this time and do a big garden on the ground.
I've started hauling some wood chips and soil from a old flower garden I had to move in the back of the yard. Wouldn't it be nice to walk out my front door to a flower garden each day.

But with the sand in the yard we need to build it up to be able to plant anything in it. The grass barely grows in that spot. I spent years trying to get grass to grow there and finally I just stopped trying. My neighbor has a beautiful garden in her front yard and I thought I would do a flower bed and veggie garden together in this spot. That way in my veggie box I can plant more of one thing and be able to get enough to last us past summer in these fresh veggies and fruit. Spread out  the growing spot through our yard and plant more of the one thing. Also all my flower beds are mostly shade or ever so slight part sun so it would be nice to have a little different variety of flowers that can have full sun.

Our apple trees seem to be doing okay I'm not sure how I would tell if they are not. They did get a few yellow leaves and I read that it could be from watering either to much or to little so I cut back on the watering and they improved. We also tied a few branched down so they grow horizontal more then vertical. We read that was good for producing more fruit.

Here is how my other flower beds are looking. They look bare but its the first year and they will spread the next year for sure.







My raspberries did amazing. I froze my berries for my kombucha

the neighbor gave me this hydrangea and it looked like it was going to die when she brought it over. Instead it turned around fast and even made a flower this year


This is in my back side yard off the garage. There was a flower bed there and I had to remove it for the home of our future chickens. yep we are going to be raising some cute little hens for eggs.

this is also in the side yard by the drive way and I planted some flowers around the fence and made it a spot to have a little campfire. 

we have some lilacs and bee balm planted along the fence



I feel like I did a lot to the yard this year with making new beds and transplanting tons of flowers to make our yard work better and look prettier. Every year I have a new plan that I dreamed up through the winter months and it fun to see them unfold in the summer. 

Comments

Popular Posts