Time to order our backyard chickens

So on my birthday the Mr. decided he would take the day off to celebrate this holiday(my birthday). That was a surprise because I didn't know he was doing that! He said he wanted to be able to spend time with me and work on the coop. Since we got all of that done I was like lets go check out the company that we are going to order chickens from. All my neighbors who have chicken have raved about this store. So I thought lets just stop in and see what it is and how long it will take to get them after I order my 6 different breeds I picked out.

I have drove pass this place every time we headed out towards Saint Cloud and didn't think anything of it. It looks like a farm that is squished between all these new buildings. We pull up and get out and hear the chickens, and as we walk inside the building Henry sees this little rooster walking along and he grabs it and holds it. No fear what so ever. I missed capturing it with my phone so I asked him to pick it up again and this time the little rooster was like no thanks! He is a bantam rooster. I have never met such a nice rooster.



They had tons of birds on hand to pick up today but not all the ones I wanted

Kate loved the baby mallards

They also take adult birds that people don't want or what ever the case may be. These are Cochins I believe. I thought they might be lavender opringtons but they were not, I had to ask. The picture doesn't do the pretty grey color justice.


They had a huge coop in the back of the property with adult birds, ducks and turkeys. Henry thought it was the worlds biggest chicken he has ever seen.

this duck had eggs under her

I also was so impressed with the veggies being grown around the farm/property. Look at how beautiful they are.


I thought for sure this free roaming little chicken was going to end up in the van with us because the kids and I couldn't get enough of them.


They also had tons of bunnies inside the store to buy.  

I also discussed with the guy that took my chicken order about how our daughter would like to feed the chickens but she has celiac disease and all the chick feed I found has wheat in it. Would there be any option they could provide for us. I did find one brand that had wheat free soy free gmo free but I had to order it online. He said they make a special layer feed on site and I can remove the items that I don't want in there and buy like 4 bags at a time. It pays to ask and voice concerns because people are always willing to work with you if they have the same passion as you.

These are the chickens I ordered
Black Sex Link

Australorp

barred rock

welsummer

silver laced wyandotte

buff orpington

The orpington and wyandotte will be in this week and the rest will be in next week he figures. They look so different as babies so it will be fun to see them mature and get there new adult feathers in.   Out of the 6 chickens I ordered what bird is your favorite looking?


Comments

Popular Posts