Bathroom Demo Part 2

Okay we are ready to finish up the remaining part of the bathroom, tub arrived on Friday and we asked grandma and grandpa to take the kids for the weekend while we finish the last leg of this remodel.  Our friend helped us pick up the tub in his truck, which was awesome of him!  We need a pick for all the random stuff we haul, someday.  We first had to demo the shower tile area and then rip out the massive heavy cast iron tub.


 When it was time to pull the tub out I was like ummm I am not able to do this. So I called my neighbor friend and asked her to send her husband. He brought over these straps that you wear and helps balance the weight to carry it. Worked awesome and he was sweating carrying this tub out to the garage with scott. I owed him big time!  It was at least 300lbs of cast iron! We wanted a nice deep soaker tub if we couldn't get a bigger bathtub. And let me tell you this is a nice deep soaker tub. We are past the stage of bathing babies so we dont have to worry about making it easy to reach them. We might struggle when we are older and cant lift our legs but we will deal with that then!


We set the tub in place and framed it in.  Next up was putting in all the plumbing fixtures and making sure they work, that was all Scott! He saved us tons of money because he has years of plumbing experience!   Next day was tile day.



we also got the tile backer up on the shower walls and around the tub on the front and side. I originally wanted to do tile around the tub but decided the shiplap would look and tie it in with the wall.


 I bought white subway tiles and black grout. Even thought the man in the tile section was highly discouraging me from using that grout he really suggested a grey. I was like nope I want a big contrast difference to make it POP!  I was a bit nervous about tiling. I have tiled around a tub at our old house but it wasnt going up a wall. So I had my older experience neighbor that can do anything to come over and give me tips. He also was so gracious to borrow us tons of tools and gadgets to do this remodel. We just love them. So after the tips were shared I went to town. I laid them and scott went out to the garage and cut the ones we needed cut. It was a good team effort. Once I got to the part where I had to reach high he took over and finished it.
we laid a row of tile on the tub to create a base line for the first row of tiles


1/8 inch grout line means tons and tons of spaces to put in.



The next day we grouted this.  It felt weird covering my pretty white tiles in black grout, but I trusted it was going to workout and I wasnt going to have a black smeared shower. When it was time to spounge off the grout and clean up the lines it was a ton of work. We wiped and wiped and wiped. Scott dumped a bucket of water and filled the bucket of clean water and we repeated this step every 5 min. then we finally grabbed paper towels and used that method. It went a lot easier. But the finished product was like amazing and I couldn't stop staring at it. It's hard work but so worth it!




We just had a few more things to finish up to complete it this room. We had to add white baseboards around the bathroom, put the mirror up o the wall, paint the window and door white, and finish the shiplap around the tub surround and paint them, I am also reused our old towel bars and shower curtain rod; and just spray painting it with oil rubbed bronze spray paint, and reinstall the vanity again for the last time.

And of course we had to decorate it. I printed off some of my favorite pictures from trips we took and hung them in photo frames, and added a few metal baskets to hang on the wall, put back up the prayer board, and hang the tp holder.

and ta da it's finished.




















I have to say I walk in this room and I want this feel throughout the rest of my house. I love that room. And I'm proud of what we did by ourselves. Scott and I work really well together through projects. But no joke we worked early morning straight through till 10pm each day so we could finish this bathroom in 2 weekends.

There is a one thing about the bathroom I would change. The shower head is to short, the old one was fine but this one is a little different and you have to have it pointing straight down so it doesn't spray my vanity sink.  But there is always something you change your mind on!

Now on to the next home project!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts