The Large Brown Egg

The time has come.... I have begun reading and watching youtube videos on signs when your chicken will begin to lay eggs. Last week we put a light in the run and in the coop it comes on early morning before the sunrises and then we have it turned off all day and then the light comes back on when the sunsets for a few more hours of light before they head to bed. I also opened up there nest boxes and filled it with wood shavings and placed a wooden egg in each nest box. I heard it's a good way for you to let the chicken know where to lay those tasty eggs. I figured I had a few more weeks, because everyone I talked to said they lay more towards the 6 month age. But I was excited and thought I should be prepared.

Im so glad I did! I was out with them this morning giving them a bucket of veggie and fruit from the kitchen compost and i peeked my head in the coop run door towards the nest boxes and I did see anything, and went on with my morning. Right before kate was leaving for school Henry comes inside from playing outdoors and said he found a egg as he was holding the dummy egg. I smiled and said nope that's not real. He looks at me and said no a different egg and brought us out to see. I never told him I put those dummy eggs in the nest boxes because I didn't want him to play in there. Sure enough there was a very large brown egg in the nest box. We all were smiling from ear to ear! I couldn't believe this moment has come. It may sound crazy to some but I have never been around chickens growing up, and  I have spent so many hours researching which breed to get, city ordinances, building a coop and run, and raising them from a day old. My efforts have been rewarded and I'm so happy. Call me crazy but that is just awesome.




I am shocked that Henry found the egg, he has not played with the chicken coop in awhile. We have had to lock up each door because he was bothering them and chasing them around like a crazy little boy trying to hold each chicken. He cant reach the nest box from the ground so he had to drag a lawn chair over to stand on it and look inside. I asked him why he decided to look in there today and he said "I dont know". ha typical little boy response. He must have just known because he has not opened the nest boxes since we built the coop.

I would love to know which bird laid it. A chicken cam would be fun! I bet Scott is rolling his eyes on that idea! I have two guesses  but who knows if I am right.

Shirley my silver laced wyandotte  she has a bright red face and waddle and they say if they waddle is swollen they are ready to lay. She is 20 weeks old, but this breed tend to lay later because she is a heavier bird.She also has nice yellow feet which they say she should have to lay eggs.


and my second choice

Batgirl who is a black sexlink. She is my friendliest  bird and this breed tends to lay on the earlier side and has a high production of eggs. I read if they squat when you go to pet them it's a sign they will lay anytime. She kinda does that! She also is so vocal, in not sure that is a sign but she has a lot to say! She too has nice yellow feet. This breed also makes large brown eggs and this egg is large!

But who knows!


left is store egg and right is our egg


Comments

Popular Posts