Kitchen Fun

This morning i got up and headed to Walmart.  If you know me it's my least favorite place to go!  I figured nobody would be up and shopping around 8 so it will be a easy in and out of that place.  And i was right!  But I had to go there to get some large and small glass canning jars, and some spices to use for my beets.  It's kinda fun to look for recipes and buy all the stuff you need to preserve all garden yummies.

First on my list was some beets from the garden.  I asked my Grandma for my Great Grandma Caley's recipe.  But unfortunteley she didnt have it. Bummer.  But she did send a recipe that she thought we be a good one for me. It sounded easy so i thought i would jump with both feet in!


Recipe.

6 beets - remove the top of the beet, boil them till tender, then remove the skin and slice
Meanwhile bring to boil,
2c water
2c apple cider vinegar
2c sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1tbsp. whole all spice
3tbsp. pickling spice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
after it comes to a boil simmer for 15 min.
Place the liquid in the jars and place the beets in next.  Cover and refrigerate for at 1 least one week.

Now i have to wait a week to find out if there any good.  Boooo!

Then i figured since i was making the kitchen a mess i might as well make some strawberry jam since i have been freezing strawberries the last few months.  I found this recipe and it sounded tasty. It's called honey strawberry jam.  You take 6 cups of sliced strawberries, 2 boxes of powder pectin,  1 1/2 c. honey, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice.  First start by mashing up the strawberries with potato masher, which i didnt have but used a pastry cutter instead. Then bring to boil for about a min. remove from heat and add honey and lemon juice then return to heat and boil for  5 min. again.  Pour in jars, place lids on and do a 8 min. water bath to seal.  I havent tried it yet but i have passed out 2 jars to family. Lets see if they like it or if I need to improve my skills. If it's a flop i can always use it as strawberry's to go onto of my ice cream!  I have to say i want to make a loaf a bread to try with my jam.  That's not happening because my house is hot from all the cooking on the stove this morning.

Comments

Popular Posts